Healthy is a bit of a stretch with this recipe since not all breads can’t really be considered health food. But as far as pumpkin bread recipes go, this is one of the healthiest you’ll find. This Pumpkin Applesauce Spice Bread has all the moist fluffiness and sweet flavor of old-fashioned recipes, with a fraction of the fat and refined sugars.
It’s vegan friendly and tastes pretty much like pumpkin pie in bread form filled with deliciousness. This recipe would be great to make in muffin tins as well, with a little spiced vegan whipped cream on top. It’s time to pull out the right amount of spiciness to go with the sweetness of this incredibly tasty bread. If you are a lover of pumpkin taste and a bread, this is a definite winner!
- 3 Tablespoons flaxseed, ground
- 1 / 2 cup water
- 1- 1 / 2 cups sugar
- 1 / 2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 / 2 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 / 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 / 4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, loosely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir together flaxseed and water until thick. Add flax mixture to sugar, applesauce, oil, and pumpkin puree in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Gently stir in the walnuts.
- Lightly coat 2 loaf pans with grease or cooking spray.
- Split the mixture into two regular loaf pans.
- Bake the loaves for about 55 minutes. Allow to cool 20 minutes in pans before removing to wire cooling rack.
Is Vegan Lifestyle For You?
Download this FREE report to find out.