Remember how your mouth waters with desire of that sweet and sour taste everytime you see that delish sight of citrus fruit? Reminisce your childhood fantasy of recreating that remarkable experience with the aroma of this roasted garlic chicken, lavishly intensified with the succulent blend of tangy flavored sauce.
Roasted Garlic Chicken with Citrus Sauce
A low carb make ahead recipe giving your roasted chicken a tasty citrus twist.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 184
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 20g
Saturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrates 12g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 whole roasting chicken, 5-6 pounds
- 1 medium onion
- 1 orange, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large lemon, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 sprigs, fresh rosemary
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed and skins removed, plus 3 cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3.5 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Kitchen string
- Place oven rack in center position and preheat to 400˚
- Remove neck and giblets from chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle cavity with salt and pepper.
- Stuff cavity with orange and lemon slices, along with rosemary and 4 cloves crushed garlic. Tuck additional 4 cloves of crushed garlic under the skin on outside of bird. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over outside of chicken and evenly distribute over the skin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Slice onion into ¼” thick pieces and arrange evenly on bottom of roasting pan. Place chicken breast side up on top of onions and tie legs together with kitchen string. (Note: some roasting pans come with a rack; if so, arrange onions under the rack and place chicken on the rack).
- Add ½ cup chicken broth to bottom of pan and roast for 1 hour. If necessary, baste chicken with additional broth and add more to the bottom of pan to prevent drippings from scorching.
- In a glass bowl, combine orange juice, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 3 cloves minced garlic.
- After chicken has roasted 1 hour, brush juice mixture over chicken. Continue roasting chicken roasting another 30 – 40 minutes. During this time, baste with juice mixture and add more broth to the pan, if necessary.
- When internal temperature reaches 170 degrees (measure near bone in thigh), remove chicken from oven and place on serving platter. Cover with aluminum foil tent for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Place roasting pan on cooktop over medium-high heat. Add remaining broth and juice mixture. Simmer until reduced by ½, stirring frequently. Strain into a serving bowl and discard solids.
- Cut kitchen string and discard ingredients from cavity. Serve chicken warm with citrus sauce.