This is a great “make ahead” breakfast idea for those busy mornings when you don’t have time to cook a healthy meal. The best part is you can freeze a batch of them, then pull out as many as you need for a healthy, on-the-go breakfast option.
The key to this recipe is to choose the best ingredients. Make sure you use only fresh bell pepper, onions and eggs.
The extra sharp cheddar cheese makes a long “whey” when it’s melted, which makes it excellent for cooking and baking.
Also make sure you cook the sausage all the way through and break it into small bite-sized pieces.
It can be tricky to shred a block of cheese as it gets sticky and starts to melt as you shred. So it’s best to put the cheese in the freezer for 15 minutes before shredding.
- 1 pound spicy turkey or pork sausage
- 12 whole eggs
- ¼ cup finely minced sweet onion
- ½ cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Brown sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook all the way through and break into small bite-sized pieces. Drain excess fat.
- Crack eggs into a large glass bowl and beat thoroughly with a fork. Add cooked sausage, onion, ½ of the shredded cheddar cheese, red bell pepper, oregano, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Line cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners (or spray thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray) and scoop ¼ cup of egg mixture into each container. Top each “muffin” with equal amounts of the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately or cool and place in freezer-safe bag to freeze for later use.
- Best served warm!
Let us know how you like this recipe, leave us a comment below!