We all know that we need to eat more vegetables and fewer refined carbs. However, most commercial pasta is made with white flour and not a very good nutritional decision. This zucchini pasta recipe is the perfect solution for anybody who craves their favorite pasta dishes but needs to cut down on calories and increase servings of healthy veggies!
Made with fresh zucchini, low-fat ground turkey and whole cheese, this dish should satisfy your cravings for the taste of authentic Italian-style food.
Italian-inspired zucchini pasta recipe!
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 278
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 31g
Saturated Fat 13g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 12g
Total Carbohydrates 15g
Dietary Fiber 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 large zucchinis (shredded into spirals, use a food processor or a handy gadget, like the SpiraLife Vegetable Spiralizer that turns zucchini into pasta shaped spirals)
- 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion (chopped)
- 1/2 celery stalk (diced)
- 1/2 carrot (diced)
- 1 tsp. of red hot pepper flakes
- 2 medium cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 cups of fresh crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 tbsp. of tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of organic chicken broth
- 1/3 cup of fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. of fresh or flaked oregano
- 1/2 lb. of ground turkey
- Fresh parmesan cheese (whole shredded, don’t use prepared products)
- Into a food processor, combine carrots and celery; pulse until almost pureed with some chunky bits, put aside.
- Into a large pan, heat oil over medium heat; season with salt and pepper and sauté garlic for about 30 sec. or until browned.
- Mix in pepper flakes, sauté for 30 sec. then stir in onions. Sauté for another 2 min. or until translucent.
- Combine in blended carrot-celery mixture and cook for about 1 min.
- Set veggies on the sides of the pan and put turkey in the center of the pan. Cook by loosening the chunks, add a pinch of oregano flakes and cook further until light brown.
- Mix the veggies with the turkey, add a little more of oregano flakes, pour in broth and continue cooking until most of the water evaporates.
- Put in tomatoes, tomato paste and remaining oregano flakes. Bring to a boil and simmer over lower heat for about 15 min. or until sauce is reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper, and then add the basil leaves.
- Mix in the zucchini pasta and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Plate and garnish with Parmesan cheese before serving.