past tense: seared
- brown (food) quickly at a high temperature so that it will retain its juices in subsequent cooking.
synonyms: flash-fry, seal, brown
- 1 oz. pecans, chopped and toasted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, tough outer skin removed and thinly sliced
- 4 Tilapia fillets
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Fresh lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To toast chopped pecans, add to dry skillet over medium-high heat. Stir continually until they darken in color. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and sliced shallot to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until shallot softens and starts to brown, approximately 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat and combine with toasted pecans.
- Add remaining tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to skill and return to medium-high heat. Season tilapia fillets liberally with salt and pepper and add to hot skillet. Cook tilapia 2 or 3 minutes until a brown crust starts to form. (Do not turn or reposition the fillets before this occurs, or they will fall apart).
- Once the edges start to turn brown, gently turn the fillets over. Cook until second side looks like the first (another 2 or 3 minutes). Remove tilapia from pan and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Return the pan to heat and deglaze bottom with ½ cup dry white wine. (Use metal spatula to scrape browned bits from bottom of pan). Add butter and fresh lemon juice to pan. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until the sauce turns brown.
- To serve, place tilapia fillets on plate, and spoon shallot/pecan mixture on top. Drizzle lemon butter sauce over plate and garnish with fresh lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Carefully select your ingredients.
Make sure you just have the right amount of pecan nuts.
Chop pecan nuts with a food processor for a more presentable result.
Do not over fry the fish, as it will become hard and dry.
Have something to say about this recipe? Leave a comment below!