Finally, a delightful red velvet cupcake that is less dangerous to your waistline! You can munch on these cupcakes guilt-free in our trendy world of diets, for this recipe is paleo and vegan (gluten-free/dairy-free/egg-free/refined sugar free). Go ahead, start baking, and satisfy your overwhelming craving for red velvet cupcakes without putting on a pound.
- *for cupcakes
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pure, uncut stevia (see note below for alternatives)
- 2 mashed bananas (see note below for alternatives)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 egg whites OR 4 tbsp Ener-g egg replacer mixed with 1 cup water, for a vegan version.
- Red food coloring (natural, such as beet juice, is absolutely best)
- *for frosting
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt OR 1 cup vegan-friendly yogurt
- 3 packets of NuNaturals stevia, to taste (Feel free to substitute ½ cup erythritol OR cane sugar)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and sweetener. Sift very well.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, except for food color. Whisk in banana, vanilla extract, vinegar, and egg whites or egg re-placer until uniform. Stir until just combined.
- Add in food coloring until batter is desired color. (Note that it will lose some of its color during baking.)
- Immediately pour the batter into the pan (about 2/3 full each). Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let sit 10 minutes to cool before removing the muffin tin.
- While waiting for the cupcakes to cool, prepare the frosting.
- Stir together the yogurt, the sweetener, and the ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Spread the thickened frosting over the cooled cupcakes.
- Once frosted, the cupcakes are best served immediately. Devour.
Is Vegan Lifestyle For You?
Download this FREE report to find out.
Seriously, how can you not indulge in these healthy red velvet cupcakes?!
This is the perfect day to reach out to all your friends with your newly discovered cupcake recipe! There is no excuse in celebrating International Friendship Day. It would be so much nicer if you take a few moments out of your busy day and make a sweet gesture to let them know how much you value your friendships. What are you waiting for? Now go and connect with a friend by bringing some of your very own freshly baked cupcake. You’ll realize the warm feeling that it gives you and it will literally stay with you for the rest of the day!